Below is Henry Huddleston’s 2nd house at 303 West Maple Ave, Langhorne, PA, built about 1705-6

 

Henry was born about 1660-65 surely in England and possibly in Yorkshire (way up in the north of England). There were lots of Huddlestons in York. In Yorkshire during this time when Henry was born, there was:

Edward Huddleston in Romaldkirk, York, with children: Richard b 1656, Robert b 1658, Jane b 1660, John b 1666.

Thomas Huddleston m Jane Leason, 1755, Great Driffield, York. They lived in Flamborough, York, with children: John b 1658 (buried 1659), John b 1664,  Margrit b 1667, Tho b 1669.

Isabel Hudlestone in Warter, York, with children: John b 1657 

Johannis Hudleston in Warter, York, with children: Katherina b 1669

Christopher Huddlestone in Fewston, York, with children: John b 1657

[These are the only births around that time listed at familysearch.org]


Henry evidently left England sometime around 1685-88 during the reign of Catholic King James II, who persecuted protestants until the Glorious Revolution of 1688, when he was overthrown by the people and Protestants, and William & Mary (daug of James II) were given the throne.

Some Huddlestons in England had been Catholics and supporters of the Catholic kings, but Henry was an Anglican. His first 2 children were baptized in the anglican church. Then for some reason he became a Quaker (maybe the influence of a second wife? or if he only had one wife, perhaps he himself was converted).


Henry left his home possibly in Low Ellington, Yorkshire, England and came to Pennsylvania that had been recently settled (1682) by William Penn and his Quaker followers. [His future father-in-law, William Cooper, was from Snapt, Low Ellington. Perhaps they knew each other in Old England, and if not, people tended to trust others who were from their home area.]


The Swedes had built a settlement in PA in 1643. The Dutch took control in 1655, then the English in 1664. William Penn became a Quaker in 1667. The King granted Penn a land grant of Pennsylvania in 1681. In 1682, 23 ships brought 2,000 colonists to Pennsylvania. Bucks County was one of the 3 original counties established in 1682 (Philadelphia was to the southwest).  Many of the Quakers who had come over with Penn on the "Welcome" had migrated from Buckinghamshire (just west of London), thus their new home was named Bucks County.


The first trace of Henry is Dec. 23, 1688 when he received a deed to 100 acres land (which encompasses all the north part of Langhorne, PA, probably north of Maple Ave and west of Bellevue). At the time, the community was called Four Lanes End (later called Attlebury or Attleborough, renamed Langhorne in 1877). It was at the intersection of two major transportation roads (originally 2 Lenni-Lenape Indian paths, now called Maple & Bellevue), one of them being the main road between Philadelphia & Trenton.  Three Dutch and English colonists settled on the north side of this intersection by 1700. 


Henry’s first house is now 2 blocks north and 1 block west of what is the corner of Bellevue and Maple, the original Four Lanes End, about 8 miles west of Trenton, NJ and about 25 miles northeast of Philadelphia. This property, north of the center of Langhorne, is where he built the house at 154 Marshall Ave. His land probably was where the current golf course at Middletown County Club is located all the way down to the center of town.

He built his house (facing forth) beside a spring where the family kept their milk and butter cool. He also planted an orchard, probably with trees brought from England.


The “History of Bucks County, PA” mentions William Huddleston, a leatherworker (shoemaker) from England and an early settler of Bucks Co, PA. I don’t know if this was a relative of Henry’s or if the book got it wrong and it should be Henry, but the property is the same location.

"History of Bucks County, PA" (1876 & 1905, by WWH Davis, chapter 11: Middletown, 1692) says, "William Huddleston was an early settler where Attleborough [Langhorne] stands, his land extending north of the village. He was a shoemaker by trade and lived in a log house back from the road, on the lot now owned by Absalom Mitchener. The house was on the side of a hill, near a spring. In moderate weather he worked with the south door open to give him light, as he had no glass in the windows, but bits of parchment instead. Doctor Huddleston, of Norristown, was his descendant, but the family has run out in this county....Possibly he was the William Huddleston who married a daughter of William Cooper of Buckingham, before 1709.”

This was the land that 154 West Marshall Ave is on today, where Henry’s first house was.

Henry did marry a daughter of William Cooper in 1701

Middletown Township in Bucks County was a farming community encircling Langhorne, PA.

Evidently, the first house he built when he arrived in about 1685-6 was a log cabin, later replaced by the first stone house in the town in 1688-90. It seems that he must have come to America with some money because he accquired a large piece of land and began a fine house within 5 years of years of his arrival.

Henry served on a jury in 1689, 1690, and 1693. 


In 1699 He added 80 acres and 12 1/2 acres to his property.

"Bucks Co, Pa. Deed Records 1684 - 1763", by John David Davis, Published 1997 by Heritage Books, Inc:

• p. 247, 4 Sep 1699, John Scarbough, yeoman, of Bucks Co., Pennsylvania to Henry Hudleston, yeoman, of same, L90, 80 acres, of 250 acres - line of Thomas Bayn and Thatcher - patented, 1682, by John Scarbrough, blacksmith, of London, England, father of said John. Signed John Scarbough. Wit: George Biles, Enoch Yardley and Jonathan Scaf.

• p. 250, 4 Sep 1699, William Hayhurst, (son and heir of Cuther Herst), yeoman, of Bucks Co, Pennsylvania to Henry Huddleston, yeoman, of same, L4, 12.5 acres - line of Robert Heaton - patented 1685. Signed William Hayhurst. Wit: George Biles and William Darby.  

[Perhaps this is where he built his second house west of town.]


His first house was north of town (154 West Marshall).

His second house was near the center of town (303 W. Maple). This house was started in 1704-5, but he died before it was finished in 1706.

There were probably 7 homes in Langhorne built and/or lived in by different Huddleston family members.


A later deed mentions the 100 acres bought in 1706 from William Hayhurst by Henry & Elizabeth Huddleston, which she in 1729 sold to her son William, and William sold to Wm Blakey in 1743.


Other historical building in Langhorne:



















In 1701 when Henry St. was about 41 when he finally married in to Elizabeth Cooper (the 28-year-old daughter of William Cooper/Cowper who was a Quaker and also came from Snapt, Low Ellington, Yorkshire, England in 1699, arriving just 2 years before his daughter married Henry Huddleston). It’s likely that Elizabeth’s mother died on board as there was a typhus outbreak and 50 people died on the trip.


Elizabeth was born about 1673 in Yorkshire, England. The Cooper family was Quaker; Henry was not. Elizabeth was a bit older than normal marriage age and it’s likely that she had an illegitimate son, Israel Cooper, born in 1698 before coming to America. Israel’s birth record lists mother Elizabeth and no father. William Cooper listed Israel as an equal heir with his own children in his will, so he probably raised him as his own. Israel died in 1712, age 14.


William Cooper was a friend of Henry Huddleston’s (maybe from England) and William probably felt good that he  managed to arrange a good marriage for his daughter to a prosperous man. Even though this caused him considerable trouble in his Quaker congregation he probably saw it as a blessing to be able to find a good husband for his daughter who had an illegitimate baby. William was at first turned out of the Quaker group for marrying his daughter to a non-Quaker, but perhaps Henry made peace with them. He build the Middleton Meeting House on one corner of his property.

Another of William’s daughter, 18-year-old Sarah, got him in trouble with his church again in 1703. She had a mutual affair with a black slave and had a baby. Sarah publicly received 21 lashes on her bare back for her crime.


In 1704-6 Henry built another house in Langhorne, (303 West Maple Ave).  This was 2 blocks west of the main 4-Corner intersection (Bellevue & Maple). It was build on the south end of his plantation to be close to Kings Hwy (road to Philadelphia). Some of his descendants lived there until 1862, when it was sold outside the family. 


   Five years after his marriage, Henry died in 1706, leaving Elizabeth with 3 small children (William 4, Elizabeth 2, & Henry Jr., unborn). It’s possible that Henry never lived in this house, but Elizabeth and her children did. 


   He left his wife, Elizabeth, who was "with child," all of his estate in consideration of her maintaining and educating his children until his son, William attained the age of 21 years. At that time William was to get 2/3rds of the 112 acres of land Henry owned at his death. Daughter Elizabeth was willed 10 acres when she reaches 21. When his wife's unborn child attained the age of 21, William was to pay the child 20 pounds whether the child was a son or daughter. He appointed his father-in-law, William Cooper, as Executor and gave him full power to sell the 80 acres of land he bought from John Scarborough. He also gave him power to dispose of the Negro boy called Prince (and anything else he needed to do) to discharge the debts and charges.

File #22, Will Book C, Page 32 (Phila. County, PA) will of Henry Huddlestone dated 16 Apr 1706 and probated 17 May 1706. 

Will abstract: Huddlestone, Henry.  Middletown, Bucks Co. February 16, 1706.  May 17, 1706.  Wife Elizabeth and unborn child.  Children William and Elizabeth. Executor:  Father-in-law William Cooper. Witnesses:  Henry Johnson Van Dyke, Robert Heaton and John Cutler. [from Philadelphia County, PA Wills 1682-1726 Will Abstracts]


So, William Cooper was the executor of his son-in-law, Henry Huddleston’s will. William died in 1709.

Elizabeth remarried to Thomas Davis after 1705. She was still alive in 1729.


All Henry's children lived in Bucks County, Pa.:

William and his married children in Middletown Twp., and Henry and his married children in Plumstead Twp.  Most of the early settlers of Plumstead were Quakers from England.



1. William Huddleston

William was born 1702, Bucks Co, PA.  He inherited the bulk of his father's estate and was said to have had a considerable amount of wealth. 

    He married Nov., 1727 in Burlington Co, NJ to Dorothy Walsh (NJ license issued Nov 14; both from Bucks Co., Pa.) .  

    Four years after his marriage is this record from:

"Bucks County Criminal Papers 1697-1786 - Court of Common Pleas" - 

#111 - 1731 Sep 18 - Petition of Wm. HUDDLESTON that court designate term that Eliz. THOMAS should serve him (she a minor indicted for murder of child of Robert DAVIS and was left with William HUDDLESTON by sheriff Timothy SMITH on trial until she was put out by order of court).

    3 Apr 1743, William & Dorothy Huddleston, cordwinder, of Middlestown, Bucks Co., Pennsylvania to William Blakey, yeoman, of same, L12.1, 100 acres, line of James Dilworth, purchased 1706, of William Hayhurst by Henry & Elizabeth Huddleston, (parents of said William and said Elizabeth later married Thomas Davis) and said Thomas and Elizabeth, sold 1729 to said William.  Signed William Huddleston and Dorothy Huddleston.  Wit. John Cawley and Euetydus Longshore. [from Bucks County, Pennsylvania Deed Records 1684 - 1763, p159, by John David Davis, 1997 by Heritage Books]

    This family may have been Presbyterian since several of the children were married in the Presbyterian church in Churchville, (Bucks Co.) Pa.  

- Churchville Presbyterian Church Marriages Records 1738-1810 :

1768, Aug. 17, Huddleston, Henry, and Elizabeth Bennet. 

1768, May 8, Huddleston, Joseph, and Margaret Thomas. 

1762, Oct. 11, Huddleston, Sarah, and James Price. 

1763, Aug. 26, Huddleston, Thomas, and Elizabeth Slygar

    He died Aug 3, 1776 in Bucks Co, PA.  In 1779 his 5 sons were in Middletown Twp., Bucks Co., Pa.  In 1790 4 of his sons were still in Bucks Co.; Joseph was in Chester Co., Pa.  Many of his descendants adopted the spelling “Huddleson”.  

Children: (unsure of order)

  1. 1.HANNAH HUDDLESON, b 1728; m Richard Tomlinson. They built the “signature house.”

  2. 2.WILLIAM HUDDLESON Jr., 1730-1796;  was a private in the Bucks Co. Militia in 1775; m 1781, Sarah Harman.  He lived in Middletown Twp., Bucks Co., Pa. where he is shown on the tax lists show him there in 1779 (with 2 acres); 1781 (no property); 1782; 1790.  He died in 1797;  Ch: Amos, Mahlon, John

  3. 3.GEORGE HUDDLESON, b 1735, was a private in the Bucks Co., PA Militia in 1775.  He lived in Middletown Twp., Bucks Co., Pa.  He is shown on the tax lists there 1779-1787; in 1779 (with 4 acres he paid $1.18 in taxes); 1781 (no property, 1 cattle); on the 1790 census (with no wife or children).  Ch: William

  4. 4.HENRY HUDDLESON, b 1740; m 1768, Elizabeth Bennett, Presbyterian Church, Churchville, Pa.  He lived in Middletown Twp., Bucks Co, Pa.  He is shown in the tax lists there in 1781 (a cordwinder with 4 1/2 acres, 1 horse, 1 cattle); and on the 1790 census (probably with wife and 4 children); Ch: Isaac, Henry

  5. 5.JOSEPH HUDDLESTON/HUDDLESON, b 1742, m 1768 to Margaret Thomas in the Presbyterian Church in Churchville, Pa.  He lived in Middletown Twp., Bucks Co., Pa. and is on the tax lists there from 1779 to 1787. (In 1779 there were 2 Josephs: one with 200 acres & one with 4 acres.  In 1781 his estate had 200 acres.) 

  6. 6.THOMAS HUDDLESON, b 1744,  m 1763 to Elizabeth Stiger in the Presbyterian Church in Churchville, Pa.  He was a private in the Bucks Co. Militia in 1775;  He lived in Middletown Twp., Bucks Co, Pa. and is on tax list 1775-87 (in 1779 & 1781 with 4 acres and 3 cattle); and on the 1790 census (with wife, 1 son under 16 and 4 daughters); and the 1800 census.  He moved to Hamilton Co., Ohio about 1805

              ..... CHILD: Susanna Huddleston, b Apr. 8, 1789, Bucks Co., Pa.; m. in Newtown, Ohio (near    

                    Cincinnati) March 22, 1806 to Rezen Bryant Newell; d May 13, 1864, Cincinnati. 

  1. 7.ELIZABETH HUDDLESON, 1746-1799, m 1761 to George Walker. Ch: George, Joseph

  2. 8.SARAH HUDDLESON, 1746-1804, m 1762 to James Price in the Presbyterian Church, Churchville, PA.

  3. 9.Her father, William, built Elizabeth and Sarah a twin home (duplex) as a wedding gift ca. 1760 in Langhorne. Elizabeth married in 1761 and Sarah in 1762.    (see picture at right)

  4. 10.REBECCA HUDDLESON, b 1749; m Robert Adair in 1768 in St. Mary’s Church, Burlington Co., New Jersey

  5. 11.AGNES HUDDLESON, b 1750; m Jacob Stiger



2. Elizabeth Huddleston

Elizabeth was born 1704, Bucks Co, Pa. Nothing more is known about her.



3. *Henry Huddleston, Jr. (go to link for more on Henry Jr)

Henry Jr. was born 1706 after his father died. He married Mary Wilkinson in 1733 in Phildelphia; died 1780, Plumstead twp., Bucks Co, Pa.   

Children: 

3c)     *WILLIAM HUDDLESTON, b 1734, Bucks Co, PA;  m Martha Myer; moved to Bedford Co, VA 1770; moved to Kanawha Valley, WV abt 1785;  d abt 1817 WV.

3b)     DANIEL HUDDLESTON, b 1735, Pa; m Rachael Martin; moved to Bedford Co, VA 1770; moved to Kanawha Valley, WV abt 1785;  d 1817, WV.

3f)     MARTHA HUDDLESTON, b 1756, PA; m Jacob Fox; d SC

3g)    RACHEL HUDDLESTON, b 1737, PA; m George W. Clymer [There was a George Clymer who signed the Declaration of Independence, but he may not be the same man]; she d 1813, Phildelphia, Pa.

3h)    MARY HUDDLESTON, b 1739, PA; m Christopher Strait; d 1784, Chester Co, SC

3d)    ABRAHAM HUDDLESTON, b 1744, PA; m Mary Patterson; moved to Bedford Co, VA 1770; d 1785, Bedford Co, VA.

3i)     SARAH HUDDLESTON, b 1748, PA

3e)    HULDAH HUDDLESTON, b 1751 PA; m 1st ? Montgomery; m 2nd John Ray; moved to Bedford Co, VA 1770; d 1817, Chester Co, SC.

3a)    NATHANIEL HUDDLESTON, b 1754, Bucks Co, Pa; m Jemima ? & Esther White; moved to VA.

 

Henry Huddleston, Sr.

1st generation in America

Huddleston home at 154 West Marshall Ave, Langhorne, Bucks Co, PA.

According to town records and a plaque on the house, it was built in 1690 

The part with white siding was a later 2-story addition. This addition was built over a spring. This spring created a pond where they kept milk cool. Others pictures of this house below:

This bedroom is in the original part of the house. The doors originally went to a 3rd floor stairway, but now are a closet.

Right next to the Langhorne Hotel was a house (109 W. Maple Ave and now known as the "Signature House,” built in 1783 by Richard Tomlinson and his wife Hannah Huddleston (gr-daug of Henry Sr., daug of William).  Their names and date (1783) are carved into the house, along with other carved signature. See Hannah 1.1 below.

Map of Bucks Co. in the SE corner of PA.  NJ in to the east across the river, Philadelphia is SW.  

Four Lands End is in Middletown twp where the lower red line draws over the intersection.

ca 1760 “twin home” for sisters, built by their father William Huddleston as a wedding gift.

The Langhorne Hotel was built at the Four Lanes End intersection in 1704 on the NW corner (still there today).